Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Torchwood, Brother Odd and Rocking

Torchwood just keeps getting better and better this season. I mean, the season started off with a bang and it really hasn’t let up. My wife and I caught ‘Dead Man Walking’ last night and, needless to say, we enjoyed it. For some reason, I get the distinct impression that everything we’ve seen so far during this season is building towards something: there’s definitely some momentum there that wasn’t present during the first season. Anyway, it definitely makes for some good escapist television.

I also started reading ‘Brother Odd’ by Dean Koontz not too long ago after finishing ‘Industrial Magic’ by Kelley Armstrong and, in keeping along with typical Koontz fare as of late, this one is yet another engrossing page turner. It’s the 3rd book with Odd Thomas as the main character and I’m glad to see him again. The last book by Koontz I read, ‘Life Expectancy’, was absolutely fantastic: it was funny without actually being funny, which sounds odd when I write it like that. What I mean by that is that the characters in ‘Life Expectancy’ were sometimes put in very tense and difficult situations, but their reactions to said situations were often laugh out loud funny! You honestly couldn’t believe at times that you were laughing through the hardships the characters were enduring, but there you go. Well, all that to say that ‘Brother Odd’ is definitely NOT in the same vein as ‘Life Expectancy’. Don’t get me wrong, some of Koontz’s trademark wit is still very much present, but there’s just this hanging feeling of dread to the narrative... (not that I’d blame Odd for feeling that way with everything that has happened to him, but I digress). It still makes for a captivating read though, and further cements Koontz, in my mind, as one of the most capable character writers I’ve ever had the pleasure to read.

Also, today is the day that the Nine Inch Nails DLC is released for ‘Rock Band’, so I very much look forward to getting home tonight and rocking through ‘The Collector’, ‘March of the Pigs’ and ‘The Perfect Drug’. Mind you, I’m thinking that my arms might fall off if I attempt the latter on drums, but in the name of rock, it just might be worth it.

No comments: