Wednesday, March 12, 2008

New Cars and Assassins

We picked up our ‘new’ car last night and drove it home. My wife is the lucky one who drove it to work this morning since I kept the SUV; they’re calling for a possibility of snow, so I didn’t want to take any chances. Anyway, if it’s nice tomorrow, I’ll see if I can put it through it’s paces on the highway. Mind you, I don’t have any lofty goals or anything: after all, the car is only a 1997 Taurus and not a Ducati, therefore 0-60 within 3 seconds is not really in the picture. 0-60 in about 30 seconds though is.

I played a bit more of ‘Assassin’s Creed’ last night and I’m still enjoying it. I finished up a few more of the investigations which set up my second assassination in Damascus, so I think I’m a bit more than halfway. Playing maybe half an hour to an hour here and there is truly the ideal way to enjoy the game, since even though it’s been widely derided for its repetition, when spread out I find it works quite well. I can definitely see how one could get very tired of the mission
objectives in it however by trying to grind through it, but I really don’t think the game is meant to be consumed at such. Gabe from Penny Arcade had a posting similar to this a few months back in regards to how reviewers, whom are typically on very short deadlines, didn’t get to enjoy the experience as much as someone who’s leisurely going through the game might. I completely agree with his opinion in regards to this and since I’m by no means rushing through ‘Assassin’s Creed’, I’m having a good time with it. However, the specter of ‘Mass Effect’ is looming on the horizon, just waiting until I finish ‘Assassin’s Creed’ to be taken on.

Apparently, David 4.10 was kind of tired when coming out of the ‘little school’ this morning, as per my mother who picked him up there. It’s very possible that he took a nap at the day-care during the day and, if he’s up for it, tonight I’m thinking of bringing him to the library so he can get his very own library card. I can just picture him: all proud and checking out a book for tonight’s bedtime reading. Either ‘Salem’s Lot’ or ‘The Exorcist’ would be a good choice, but we’ll see what this little four year old chooses.

No comments: